Monday, May 20, 2013

gatsby review

Last night a friend and I decided it was time to see for ourselves if all of the hype surrounding The Great Gatsby was spot on or far off. Coming from a person who lacked even the slightest idea of the plot line, characters, setting, and other essential elements of a film, I walked away from the theater in complete awe. Everything, literally everything was absolute perfection. The acting, the scenery, the costuming, the music, the plot, every last detail included within this cinematic blockbuster was stunning, fantastical even.

However, I had never read the book before seeing the film, and as per the usual, I've heard that those who've read the book found the film to be ever so slightly disappointing. The movie review website, Rotten Tomatoes, gave the film a mere 49% out of 100% stating it "...emphasizes visual splendor at the expense of its source material's vibrant heart" (Rotten Tomatoes). Seeing as I haven't read the source material, I cannot agree or disagree with the opinon of the movie critics at Rotten Tomatoes, but in my opinion, it was that "visual splendor" that made the film as impressive and brilliant as I believe it to have been.
For me, the most dazzling visuals were the lush, extraordinary costumes. As the film takes places in the midst of the 1920s, most of the costumes were exquisitely tailored suits and extravagant flapper-inspired dresses with hats and head scarves galore. There were jewels upon jewels; diamonds, pearls, beads, sequence, and more. Each character, whether it be Mr. Gatsby or some no-name extra, was dressed head-to-toe in luxurious looking fabrics and outstanding silhouettes. Here are just a few of my favorites from the film....

Daisy Buchanan
Jay Gatsby
       

Minor characters & extras

 
As you are HOPEFULLY able to see, the costuming appeared to be favorably on point for a movie depicting the 20s. But the film is a great deal more than costumes. If I were you, I'd head to the theaters as soon as possible. This is a film you don't want to miss!

No comments:

Post a Comment