Thursday, May 30, 2013

crafting catch up - pt. two

All right, part two! This craft has the same concept as the craft in part one, so there is not as much detail in the step-by-step process. BUT, if you're interested in doing it, you can loosely follow the directions in the previous post! For now, i'll fill you in on the basics.

In a few short months, I am packing up and moving into the great city of Boulder to be closer to friends and campus. It's been a long time coming, and I could not be more excited for this change in my life! However, I am going to be living in a smaller space than I have become used to...which means I'm going to have to use what space I have as effectively as possible! From what I've learned, being a great space-saver requires some pretty impressive organizational skills as well as plenty of storage. I'm pretty confident that I've got the organizational skills down pat, but I'm still working on finding the necessary storage. I already have a handful of wicker baskets in a variety of shapes and sizes that can be placed on the floor, the dresser, the night stand and other areas of the room, however, adorable wicker baskets can't solve all of my problems. So, in the interest of saving money, I realized that the simple, plastic three drawer Target cart that has been tucked in the back of my closet could easily be up-cycled into a cute and fun storage piece!

Here is what you'll need:

Plastic storage cart - about $15.00 at Target
Scrapbooking paper
Mod Podge
Paper cutter
Foam paint brush
Popsicle stick

Since I had had my cart for a while, I began by wiping down the drawers so the surface that I would be mod poding was clean and smooth.


Next, I picked out my paper and set up all of the supplies I used from the last craft.



Then, I took each drawer out and cut the scrapbook paper to size. I decided I was only going to mod podge the FRONT of each drawer. So, I cut three pieces of patterned paper to the size of the face of the drawer. Next, I simply painted mod podge straight onto the face of the drawer, placed the paper on top, and smoothed out any bumps and bubbles with the popsicle stick. This is what it should look like...



I thought the cart looked good, but it was missing a LITTLE something. So, I took the left over scraps of paper and cut two pieces from each (the scraps should be about four inches wide and the height of the drawer). From this point, I painted a layer of mod podge directly onto the scraps of paper and placed a piece on both the left and right side of each drawer and wrapped it around to the back. Finally, I painted a layer of mod podge OVER everything that was covered in scrapbook paper. And the final product....


Having spruced the cart up a little bit makes it less of an eye sore in the grand scheme of the room. Now, not only is the storage space functional, but it is shabby chic as well, and will look pretty cute with one of my white wicker baskets on top!

No comments:

Post a Comment