Wednesday, July 3, 2013

canvas and cocktails

If I didn't know any better, I would think my mom is living a double life...her second life being the woman we all know as Martha Stewart (minus the whole fraud and prison thing). In other words, my mom is literally the most talented and creative Susie-homemaker I have ever known. She cooks and bakes to-die-for meals and goodies, she has mastered the art of tiling floors and back splashes, she can transform something from old to new with a quick refinishing or reupholstering, AND she can pretty much sew or knit an entire wardrobe at the drop of a hat.
All that being said, it probably comes as no surprise that, during my visit home, my mom had prepared for a canvas and cocktail day. She found a craft on Pinterest that not only looked fun but also pretty simple. She purchased all of the following supplies:

Cocktails!
Canvas(es)
Spray paint
An assortment of lace/doilies
Masking tape
Newspaper/Paper bags


FIRST: Prepare your cocktail. My family is really into wine, so we decided to have this delicious Sauvignon Blanc rather than a traditional "cocktail".


SECOND: Set up your space. We decided to do this craft in the garage due to our use of spray paint. We put down newspaper and paper bags to protect the garage floor. Begin with a blank canvas.


THIRD: Decide where you are going to place your lace/doilies. Once you have decided on placement, tape everything down as best you can. For example: I began by wrapping lace around the top section of my canvas and securing it with tape on the back side. Then, I placed my doilie and wrapped the excess around the canvas edges and secured it with tape. (The lace and doilie are discolored because they had previously been used.)
FOURTH: Keeping the can about 10-12 inches from the surface, spray paint one coat using a swift left to right motion. Be sure to spray the edges of the canvas as well, and let dry.





FIFTH: Repeat step four.

SIXTH: When the canvas has dried, remove the lace and doilies. The finished product should look something like this...



No comments:

Post a Comment