Sunday, June 30, 2013

independence day

The Fourth of July is just around the corner and I am more prepared than ever to participate in the celebration of our nation's independence. I mean, we are lucky enough to live in the greatest country in the world, WHY WOULDN'T WE CELEBRATE? With parades, barbeques, and fireworks galore, it's pretty difficult to sit back and watch everyone else have fun without being tempted to join in...right?!

BUT, it's important to keep in mind that the Fourth is not ONLY about fun and games. The Fourth of July was made a national holiday to commemorate our independence from Great Britain. Without this independence we may not necessarily be known as the "land of the free and the home of the brave." So, while you're out enjoying this glorious day, remember to take a minute to recognize how lucky we are to call the U.S. our home, and be thankful for those who have served in our military to keep our home independent, free, and safe.

All right, enough of the lecturing. One of my favorite parts about celebrating the Fourth is sporting that red, white, and blue! Don't get me wrong, I wear most of my patriotic pieces all throughout the year, but it is on this day that I can wear them all at the same time and look fairly normal. This is what I've got planned...

As of now, my friends and I plan to spend most of the day either at the res or the creek, both of which are water oriented, so a swim suit is a must! I got both of these pieces at Target - the bottoms were even on clearance for $6.00! Obviously, the two weren't initially meant to go together, BUT I loved the color and texture combination. The top is just an average navy and white striped bandeau and the bottoms incorporate a red crocheted fabric. Red? Check! White? Check! Blue? Check!


Eventually the day will transition to night and I'll be in need of some actual clothing. I bought this top at Forever 21 for around $20! The shorts are from American Eagle and cost a bit more, probably about $40. Not only does the outfit incorporate the red, white, and blue, but it also has stars and stripes!


Last, but most certainly not least...you'll need something to hold all of your things. Sunglasses, credit cards, cash, ID, chapstick, and the list goes on. Usually this "something" would be a purse, but on a hot and sunny day full of action and activities, the last thing you want to do is lug a purse around. Have no fear, the fanny pack is here; complete with the American flag! I found this little gem on amazon.com for just $13.


If you are looking to put together a special Fourth of July outfit, I would definitely suggest checking out Forever 21 - they generally have an uber patriotic section, as well as places like Target and Old Navy for inexpensive red, white, and blue finds. I hope you all have a great time celebrating on the Fourth!

No comments:

Post a Comment