Tuesday, June 9, 2015

stress less

By nature, I'm an insanely anxious and stressed out gal. Every time I turn around, my mind is going a million miles an hour about one thing or another. That being said, I've had to find different ways to  relax in order to reduce my own anxiety and stress.

Lucky for me, my lovely roommates gifted me a little book called 101 Ways to Relax and Reduce Stress by Candy Paull. After flipping through it, I've decided that this "how to" guide will be a serious constant in my life from this moment forward.

However, I've decided that I can't be selfish and keep all of these secrets to myself -- especially considering this unfortunate fact of life: EVERYONE goes through times when the stress simply seems to take over. So, I think it's important that I share a few of my favorite recently discovered tricks to take it down a notch, a la Candy Paull's 101 Ways to Relax and Reduce Stress (with a couple of twists and tweaks, a la this gal.)

Check Your 'Tude - One thing that can make or break a situation is the way in which you approach it...aka your attitude. I've always had an attitude, but I haven't always been aware of it (just ask my parents). But, I've learned that acknowledging the way in which you go about life can actually have an effect on what you experience. Less 'tude, less stress, less anxiety.

Live Now - This seems simple enough: live in the present. However, I tend to find myself questioning something I did in the past or worrying about what might happen in the future. I've come to realize that these processes really take away from my present. Rather than allow your mind to be consumed by the stress of the past and future, take in the beauty of now.

Breathe - Do as your parents told you when you were a three year old throwing a temper tantrum in aisle 9 of the grocery store: take deep breaths. According to this book, adults rarely take natural breaths that fill their lungs completely. So, if you are particularly stressed or anxious, lay on your back and spend five or ten minutes focusing on your breathing rather than allowing yourself to focus on what's stressing you out.

Feel Floral - Apparently, lavender is a natural stress reliever. Place a drop or two of the essential oil on your temples or wrists and take notice of your calming nerves and reduced headache.

Clutter Be Gone - In my experience, I become even more stressed if my surroundings are unorganized. Rarely will you walk into my room, or house for that matter, and find it an utter disaster. I cannot think straight unless my surroundings are straightened. If you're sitting at your desk trying as you might to complete an assignment or task, try taking a break for a few minutes to organize your work space. Working at a newly de-cluttered desk can de-clutter your mind.

Let It Go - If you've done the best you can, let it go (and proceed to spin in circles and sing loudly while you pretend to turn things into ice). Holding on to something you have no control over will only increase your stress and anxiety levels. Instead, once you've finished the stress-inducing task, move onto something else, like planting a flower, going for a walk or meditating.

Cultivate Serenity - A stuffy environment results in stuffy thoughts and stuffy emotions. I find my stress and anxiety to lessen when I create a cozy and inviting space. I like to open windows, light candles or incense, and play soothing music when I'm stressed. A serene environment makes for a serene mind.

Now, before you think that I've gone super Boulder hippie on you, give one or a few of these a try. You'll be surprised at how effective these little solutions can be in reducing your stress and anxiety.

No comments:

Post a Comment