Monday, June 1, 2015

remembering your roots -- a DIY

No matter where you go or where you end up, it's always important to remember your roots. 

...

As most of you know, I was born and raised in Minnesota - where the accents are as thick as the snow pants you need six months out of the year. Oh, that doesn't sound appealing? Well to me, it's home, and it will always have a special place in my heart. 

While I don't plan on moving back anytime soon (I seem to have "misplaced" my snow pants), every now and then I'm reminded of the place I grew up, and a smile stretches across my face. 

One such reminder resulted in a desire to craft...surprise, surprise. So, after some soul searching on Pinterest, I decided to give one of the DIY pins a go. Here's a link to my pinspiration. While I put my own spin on this little project, this pin definitely got me started. 

...

So, here's what you'll need:

1) a picture frame, 2) white poster board, 3) patterned scrapbook paper, 4) scissors, 5) an x-acto knife and 6) a glue stick.

And here's what you've got to do: 

First: measure and cut the white poster board to fit your picture frame. **I used an 11in. x 14in. frame.

Second: outline your home state on your custom-sized poster board and cut it out using an x-acto knife. 

Third: cut strips of patterned scrapbook paper. **I used five different patterned papers that used a similar color scheme. 

Fourth: flip the poster board over so you're looking at the back.

Fifth: put glue on either end of the patterned strip of paper (the glue should go on the patterned side) and paste to the poster board, patterned side face-down.

Sixth: continue doing this until the entire state is covered. 

Seventh: flip the poster board over and frame it. You're finished!



No comments:

Post a Comment