Monday, May 18, 2015

Five Things I Wish Someone Told Me Before Leaving for College

On May 9, 2015, I finally graduated from the journalism program at the University of Colorado Boulder with my B.S. in News Editorial, an additional field of study in Communication and a minor in Women's Studies. It was a long ride. It was a fun ride. It was a trying ride. Still, getting my diploma was one of the most important life successes I've experienced thus far.

Even though my undergraduate career was incredibly fun (a time in my life I will truly never forget), there were moments in which I found myself questioning every decision I had ever made. That being said, here are five things I wish someone had told me before I left the comfort of home for the unfamiliar college experience that awaited me.

1. It's definitely hard to leave home...but it's not impossible.
When I was a junior in high school, my mom and I drove out to Colorado to tour my top two choices for college: Colorado State University and the University of Colorado Boulder. Deep down, I knew I would eventually end up in Colorado, but my 17-year-old self wasn't entirely sure about making the move a reality just yet. I mean...I'd lived in the same state, same town, same house my whole life!
After visiting CSU, I still wasn't entirely convinced I belonged there. Sure, the town and university campus was beautiful, but was it enough to sacrifice moving 1,000 miles away from all of my friends and family? After what felt like hours of thinking and talking it out with anyone that would listen, I realized that CSU wasn't the right fit.
My next visit was scheduled at CU Boulder. After touring the stunning campus, experiencing the college-town vibe "The Hill" and Pearl Street had to offer, and being swept off my feet by the natural beauty of the foothills, I knew I had found the perfect fit. Boulder is where I belonged.
But how was I supposed to tell my family and friends that I was leaving? How was I supposed to tell them that I was going to move to a place where I knew almost no one? How was I supposed to tell them that I had no idea when I was coming back? To be honest, figuring out how to answer those questions--and how to answer them in a way that proved I was positive that my decision was the right decision--was one of the more difficult tasks I had ever encountered. I was scared; I was terrified really. But I knew that if I didn't make the move now, it would be even more difficult to make it later on. In the end, making the decision to move to Colorado was hard, but it wasn't impossible.

2. In the same vein, it's perfectly acceptable to miss home once you've left. 
About four months after leaving home, I started to question my decision to move. I missed home. I missed my family. I missed my friends. Sure, I had met plenty of nice people and got to experience things I never would have back home. But at the same time, that didn't seem to offset the feelings I had about being so far away from everything and everyone I loved. And because I had told everyone back home that I was positive about the move, I didn't feel like I could express my feelings of negativity. I didn't want people to think I had failed. After talking with my brother, I realized that it was okay to miss home. It was natural to miss home. In fact, almost everyone experiences a time where they feel vulnerable and miss the comforts of home, and those feelings are perfectly acceptable.

3. Don't be afraid to leave your comfort zone, but remember to stay true to yourself.
Before leaving for college, I never had to switch or transfer schools, so I never had to learn how to make new friends. In fact, the friends I made when I was a little kid were the same friends I had when I left for college. I learned quickly that if I wanted to meet new people out here in Colorado, I had to leave my comfort zone and take nearly every opportunity that came my way. I started conversations with mere strangers (something I rarely ever would have done in the comfort of my own home town), which lead to invitations to join clubs, go to parties, attend shows and just hang out. It was a weird experience, but I had to remember that everyone else was in the same position; everyone else was trying to make new friends as well. It is also important to keep in mind that you have to be your true self when opening up to knew things. If you don't like what you are experiencing, recognize that discomfort and try something else. Not everyone you will meet will be your best friend, in fact, some people won't want to be your friend at all, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't at least try.

4. It's okay to take a break from the "college life" and focus on yourself. 
College, as everyone knows, is a time to experience new things and meet new people, all while balancing school work and, for many, a part- or full-time job. College is hard. Balancing all of your different priorities is hard. Making sure you have enough time for your friends is hard. While most people tell you to do as much as you possibly can while you're in college (which I agree with...to a point), you can't forget about yourself, your own mental stability and your own health and well-being. It's important to take a bubble bath (if your run-down college house even has a bath..let alone one you are willing to lay in), drink a glass or two of wine, meditate, go to yoga, go to church or do whatever it is that gets you centered and rejuvenated. College is hard, but you shouldn't make it harder than it has to be.

5. But all that being said, cherish every minute of your college career: the good and the bad
Make decisions for yourself, but realize that you may question those decisions a time or two down the road. Live the college life, but don't forget to live your own life. There will always be good experiences and bad experiences, but once you find your balance, you will be able to cherish every last experience that got you to that point of serenity. My recommendation for anyone in college or about to head off: don't forget the friends you make, the risks you take, or the laws you break...because college is the best time of your life.

**To be clear, I do not advocate on behalf of breaking laws...usually.

No comments:

Post a Comment