Saturday, January 4, 2014

The Fault In Our Stars - Book Review

There's not a whole lot of things I enjoy more than a great read. Whenever I get a break from classes, one of the first things I do is ditch my awful textbooks, cuddle up by the fire, and lose myself in the pages of a New York Times Best Seller. Whether it be an autobiography or memoir, murder mystery, chick lit, crime fiction, or even romance novel, chances are, I'll give the book a go.

The most recent NY Times Best Seller I read was "The Fault In Our Stars," by John Green. To my knowledge, the author doesn't include a synopsis on the back cover (at least for the hardcover edition), so I'll do my best to give you an idea of what the book is about...

[[The story is told by Hazel Lancaster, a young cancer patient that is simply going through the motions of life; a life only those who've experienced cancer can truly relate. Hazel is forced by her parents to attend a local support group for kids with cancer. It is their hope that this support group will not only help get Hazel out of the house, but that it will also help her to make friends. Hazel isn't exactly keen on the idea of sitting through support group, but she goes anyways. It is at one of the dreaded support group meetings that Hazel meets Augustus Waters, a handsome young man in remission. Hazel and Augustus find themselves falling deeper and deeper in love with each other, all the while keeping in mind that their chances of living a long and bountiful life with one another are very slim.]]


"The Fault In Our Stars" was quite a bit different than most of the books I've read. I was totally taken aback by the ending - it wasn't quite what I had been expecting. But, then again, I suppose "the unexpected" is what makes a book great, and what makes a great book a New York Times Best Seller. I loved John Green's style of writing. It's almost as if he wrote the way he might have spoken as a young adult, which made it an easy and enjoyable read. I think my favorite aspect of the book was the way in which Green was able to incorporate a touch of humor within an honest tale of young love and death. I would strongly suggest this book to any one of my friends or family members.

However, if you're the kind of person that would rather watch a movie than read a book, then you're in luck. "The Fault In Our Stars" comes to theaters this summer!

1 comment:

  1. Great book! It gives you a new perspective of young people battling cancer.

    ReplyDelete