Saturday, November 19, 2011

to do!

I am an insanely frequent lap top user. Usually for multiple hours every day: school, work, facebook, email, pinterest, and BLOGGING! Since I am on my computer for an extended amount of time and on a daily basis, my computer gets extremely warm. So irritating! My quick fix? A $2.50 black, plastic lap desk knick knack from IKEA.

Most people would just buy something cheap like this and leave it. However, I tend to enjoy spicing things up a bit! My immediate thought...MODGE PODGE DECOUPAGE! I am a relatively huge fan of modge podging anything and everything. Modge Podge is a type of clear, non toxic adhesive used for decoupaging in either a matte or gloss finish. You can literally decoupage almost anything: dressers, table tops, cabinets, light switches, books, shelving, etc. to give even the most simple things a little pop of color, patterns, and texture! 

So, for my DIY project, I gathered pictures, magazine clippings, and stickers to modge podge on my new, very plain lap desk. It took me maybe a half hour to finish this project, but could have taken almost fifteen minutes less had I not been such a perfectionist. Here's a very simple step-by-step How To for decoupaging!

STEP ONE:  gather items
  • An item or fixture to decoupage
  • Pictures, magazine clippings, stickers, memorabilia, etc.
  • Modge Podge
  • Foam paint brush
  • Paper towels
  • Newspaper to protect the surface you are working on
Lap desk BEFORE
STEP TWO:  begin decoupaging
  • One by one, take each item you will be decoupaging and place it on the surface.
  • Just like if you were to paint, take the brush and dip it into the modge podge and spread across your picture or clipping and onto the surrounding surface area.
  • You do not need a lot of modge podge, just a light layer over each picture or clipping. Use paper towels to wipe off access modge podge.
  • Once you have finished laying and decoupaging one image, start on the next.
  • Continue until you have everything in place and covered in a light layer of the modge podge.
Materials   
 STEP THREE:  finishing layer
  • Finally, paint one consecutive layer of modge podge over the entire surface to make sure each image is in place and secure.
STEP FOUR:  let dry


Here's a peek at the after shots!




1 comment:

  1. That is adorable!! I love modge podge too! Good Xmas gift idea!

    ReplyDelete